Tuesday 13 November 2012

Back into the studio, at last




After a whole year of other work, my first project in the studio is to make a reflective or mirror-like panel that is to be hung on the wall behind this mantel clock (1). I was given some recycled window glass 48 x 23 in/117x 59 cm.  I could envision the side panel (2) of pierced brass as engraved gold, and I could simulate the background in a translucent pink.
 
1. Clock, front

2. Clock, side 
The first thing is to make the design fit the glass. By chopping off the bottom set of scrolls it fits well, and I go on to square it up so I can enlarge the design to life size. (3)
(By the way, it is proving a nightmare to organize the pics and text so I shall just carry on with the commentary and hope it is clear. I shall have to learn how to do this.)
3. Squaring up the design











But he design of the pierced brass is degraded, that is to say it has been copied over and over with the result that all the detail has broken down. I study the back of the clock (4) which is engraved steel but the style of ornament there is quite different! It is earlier, rococo, when it was fashionable to turn classic acanthus ornament into forms such as waves and clouds. The two styles are miles apart.

I will have to go back to basics so I have more information and better understanding of what I am doing. To do this, I turned to the source, Michelangelo Pergolesi, c. 1780's, (5) and now attempt to marry all 3 styles.

4. Detail, back of clock




5. Pergolesi

6. Charcoal, first drawing
I make a start with charcoal (6). Then I trace this and carry on till I had the whole thing is drawn up (7). I transfer to the glass and tweak the drawing. (8). I ran out of black, which explains the red.


Next to do, draw the other half, all on the front of the glass (using tracing paper),, turn over, clean thoroughly and gild!

Removing window putty, nasty job.

7. Drawn onto tracing paper


8. One half is drawn out

More in part Two. 


No comments:

Post a Comment